Designs and Models
– Royal Decree No. M/27 dated 29/5/1425 A.H. (The Law of Patents, Layout Designs of Integrated Circuits, Plant Varieties and Industrial Models), in force since September 6, 2004.
– Implementing Regulations, effective as of December 26, 2004, as amended and effective as of December 20, 2015.
Membership in International Conventions
– Convention Establishing the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), since May 22, 1982.
– Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property, Stockholm Act, since March 11, 2004.
– WTO’s TRIPS Agreement, since December 11, 2005.
– Locarno Agreement Establishing an International Classification for Industrial Designs, since December 3, 2020.
– The Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents (Apostille), as of December 7, 2022.
Applicant: same as for “Patents“.
Foreigners and nationals not living in the country: same as for “Patents“.
Kinds of designs and models: a composition of two-dimensional lines or colors, or any three-dimensional shape that gives an industrial product, or a product of traditional crafts, a special appearance provided that this is not only for functional or technical purpose including textile designs, if it is distinctively novel and applicable to industrial use.
Not registrable: (1) if not only for technical or functional purposes; (2) if it includes trademarks belonging to others, flags or any official symbols; (3) if its commercial exploitation violates the Shari’ah (Islamic Rules); (4) if its commercial exploitation is harmful to life, to human, animal or plant health, or is substantially harmful to the environment.
Novelty: absolute universal, however not examined.
Multiple applications: no longer possible. A separate application is required for a single embodiment of a design.
Priorities: according to Paris Convention.
Territory covered: Saudi Arabia.
Filing requirements for an application (to be sent to resident agent):
1. 1 e-copy of a power of attorney showing legalization of the Saudi Arabian Consulate; in case the Saudi Patent Office requests such original, they shall issue a Formality Examination Report requesting the same;
2. 1 e-copy of a deed of assignment (if not the applicant), showing legalization of the Saudi Arabian Consulate is sufficient; however, the Saudi Patent Office may in due course issue an official notification requesting the original, accordingly it is suggested to keep the original for future submission, if required;
3. 1 e-copy of the description of the model or design should be filed using an online design application, and the related drawings should be uploaded using the e-filing system;
4. Type of products for which the industrial model or design will be used, and class according to the Locarno Classification. The suggested title of the design should be compatible with the 10th Edition of the Locarno Classification;
5. In case of disclosure through an official exhibition or any other public disclosure, the documents indicating such disclosures and date are required;
6. 1 e-copy of the priority document in case Convention priority is claimed, which should be filed online within three months from the filing date.
Electronic filing: available.
Electronic signatures: are accepted as long as the documents are duly legalized by a Saudi Consulate.
For a change of name:
1. A certified copy of the change of name document, legalized up to the Saudi Arabian Consulate, along with a simple English translation;
2. Power of attorney reflecting the new name, legalized up to the Saudi Arabian Consulate.
For a change of address:
1. Power of attorney reflecting the new address, legalized up to the Saudi Arabian Consulate.
Amendment of application: may be made at any time, however, the amendment date of drawings shall be considered as the filing date.
Examination: only formal; no examination as to novelty.
Application kept secret: until publication.
Opposition: the same as for “Patents“.
Publication: after registrations.
Granting and Protection
Delivery of document: at the date of filing. The registration certificate is issued in electronic format.
Beginning of protection: from the date of filing.
Duration: ten years from the filing date.
Renewal: not possible.
Annuities: the same as for “Patents“.
Marking of registered goods: not provided for.