– Law No. 5846 of December 5, 1951 on Intellectual and Artistic Works, last amended on July 7, 2018.
Membership in International Conventions
– Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.
– WTO's TRIPS Agreement, since March 26, 1995.
– Rome Convention for the Protection of Performers, Producers of Phonograms and Broadcasting Organizations, since April 8, 2004.
– WIPO Copyright Treaty, since November 28, 2008.
– WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty, since November 28, 2008.
Applicant: the author of a work is the owner. For cinema works, the director, original music composer, screenwriter and dialogue writer are mutual owners. If a work as an inseparable whole is created by more than one person, all creators are mutual owners.
Procedure: according to the Law, film producers and phonogram producers must register their productions, including cinematic and musical works. Computer games must also be registered. For other works, including computer games, copyright protection is automatic and free from the moment of creation of the work, however, voluntary registration is possible.
Duration: the protection period does not begin before the work becomes public. For a work by an author, the term is the author's lifetime and 70 years calculated from the first day of the year following the author’s death. If a work is realized by two or more authors, the protection period is 70 years from the first day of the year following the death of the last surviving author. If the first author is a legal entity, the protection period is 70 years from the date of publicity.
Authority name: Directorate General for Copyright, Ministry of Culture and Tourism. Internet address: www.ktb.gov.tr
Collective Management Organization: MESAM (www.mesam.org.tr).