– Copyright Law No. 9.610 of February 19, 1998, as amended.
– Brazil's Constitution, Article 5, Sections 27 and 28.
Membership in International Conventions
– Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.
– Universal Copyright Convention.
– Phonograms Convention.
– Rome Convention for the Protection of Performers, Producers of Phonograms and Broadcasting Organisations.
– WTO's TRIPS Agreement, since January 1, 1995.
– Marrakesh Treaty, since September 30, 2016.
Registration is not required for owners of an original work. Copyright protection is automatic and free from the moment a work is created. It is, however, possible to register a work with the National Library to prove evidence of its creation date.
Duration: during the lifetime of the author, plus 70 years counted from the 1st of January following the author's death.
Authority name: The Copyright Office of the National Library. Internet address: www.bn.gov.br/servicos/direitos-autorais
Collective Management Organizations: ABRAMUS (www.abramus.org.br), AMAR SOMBRAS (https://amar.art.br), ASSIM (www.assim.org.br), AUTVIS (www.autvis.org.br), SICAM (www.sicam.org.br), amongst others.