– Law on Copyright and Related Rights (Decree No. 33-98), last amended on November 13, 2018.
Membership in International Conventions
– Universal Copyright Convention.
– Phonograms Convention.
– Rome Convention for the Protection of Performers, Producers of Phonograms and Broadcasting Organizations.
– WTO's TRIPS Agreement, since January 1, 1995.
– Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, since July 28, 1997.
– WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty, since January 8, 2003.
– WIPO Copyright Treaty, since February 4, 2003.
– Marrakesh Treaty, since September 30, 2016.
Registration is not required for owners of an original work. Copyright protection is automatic and free from the moment a work is created. However, registration is possible and provides important benefits such as proof of ownership and helps deter infringement.
Duration: during the lifetime of the author, plus 75 years after his death.
Authority name: Register of Intellectual Property, Ministry of Economic Affairs. Internet address: https://portal.rpi.gob.gt
Collective Management Organization: AEI-GUATEMALA (www.aei-guatemala.org).