– Law No. 312 of 1999 on Copyright and Neighboring Rights, in force since August 31, 1999, as amended.
– Regulations to the Law on Copyright and Neighboring Rights (Decree No. 22-2000), in force since May 5, 2000, as amended.
Membership in International Conventions
– Universal Copyright Convention, since August 16, 1961.
– WTO's TRIPS Agreement, since January 1, 2000.
– Phonograms Convention, since August 10, 2000.
– Rome Convention for the Protection of Performers, Producers of Phonograms and Broadcasting Organizations, since August 10, 2000.
– Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, since August 23, 2000.
– WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty, since March 6, 2003.
– WIPO Copyright Treaty, since March 6, 2003.
– Marrakesh Treaty, since April 16, 2020.
Copyright protection is automatic and free from the moment a work is created. Copyright registration is not required to obtain protection, nor for bringing an action for copyright infringement or obtaining damages. However, registration with the National Office for Copyright and Neighboring Rights is possible and recommended, as it constitutes a proof of the rights.
Duration: during the lifetime of the author, plus 70 years after his death.
Authority name: Oficina Nacional de Derechos de Autor y Derechos Conexos.
Internet address: www.mific.gob.ni