– Copyright Act 2003 (Act No. 21 of 2003), in force since November 30, 2004, as amended.
– Copyright (Specified Countries) Order, 2005, in force since August 2, 2005.
Membership in International Conventions
– Universal Copyright Convention, since April 22, 1985.
– Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, since August 29, 1993.
– WTO's TRIPS Agreement, since January 1, 1995.
– WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty, since February 12, 2011.
– Marrakesh Treaty, since December 5, 2016.
– Beijing Treaty on Audiovisual Performances, since April 28, 2020.
Registration is not required for owners of an original work. Copyright protection is automatic and free from the moment a work is created.
Duration: (a) for literary, dramatic, musical or artistic works: during the lifetime of the author, plus 50 years after his death; (b) for computer generated works: 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the work was made; (c) for sound recordings and films: 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the recording or film was made or made available to the public; (d) for broadcasts and cable programmes: 50 years from the end of the calendar in which the broadcast was made or the programme included in a able programme service; (e) for typographical arrangements of published editions: 50 years from first publication; (f) for performances: 50 years from the end of the calendar year in which the performance takes place.
Authority name: Commerce and Intellectual Property Office. Internet address: www.cipo.gov.vc
Collective Management Organization: ECCO (www.eccorights.org).