– Law of April 18, 2001 on Copyright and Related Rights and Databases, in force since May 3, 2001, as amended.
Membership in International Conventions
– Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.
– Universal Copyright Convention.
– Phonograms Convention.
– Rome Convention for the Protection of Performers, Producers of Phonograms and Broadcasting Organizations.
– WTO's TRIPS Agreement, since January 1, 1995.
– WIPO Copyright Treaty, since March 14, 2010.
– WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty, since March 14, 2010.
Registration is not required for owners of an original work. Copyright protection is automatic and free from the moment a work is created. It is, however, possible to submit a work to the Benelux Office for Intellectual Property (using i-DEPOT either online or using an i-DEPOT envelope) to prove authorship and the date of creation. The i-DEPOT certificate is not subject to any territorial limitation and is valid for 5 years (extendible). European courts will always accept an i-DEPOT certificate.
Duration: during the lifetime of the author, plus 70 years after his death.
Authority name: Benelux Office for Intellectual Property. Internet address: www.boip.int/en/entrepreneurs/ideas/your-idea-in-an-i-depot