– Copyright Law (Legislative Decree No. 822), in force since May 24, 1996, as amended.
– Law No. 28131 on Performers, in force since December 20, 2003, as amended.
Membership in International Conventions
– Buenos Aires Convention on Literary and Artistic Copyright.
– Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.
– Phonograms Convention.
– WTO's TRIPS Agreement, since January 1, 1995.
– WIPO Copyright Treaty, since March 6, 2002.
– WIPO Performances and Phonograms Treaty, since July 18, 2002.
– Marrakesh Treaty, since September 30, 2016.
– Rome Convention for the Protection of Performers, Producers of Phonograms and Broadcasting Organizations, since September 23, 2017.
– Beijing Treaty on Audiovisual Performances, since April 28, 2020.
Registration is not required for owners of an original work. Copyright protection is automatic and free from the moment a work is created. However, registration is possible and provides prima facie evidence of copyright ownership.
Duration: in general, during the lifetime of the author, plus 70 years after his death. Anonymous or pseudonymous works are protected for 70 years from the year of their disclosure. Collective works, computer programs and audiovisual works are protected for 70 years from their first publication.
Authority name: The Copyright Office of INDECOPI - National Institute for the Defense of Competition and the Protection of Intellectual Property. Internet address: www.indecopi.gob.pe